neděle 13. března 2011

Turkey and EU

The idea of Turkey joining the European Union doesn´t seem very realistic to me. I don´t consider myself any expert on politics but it just wouldn´t suit Turkey. It would bring more complications than advantages and the main good thing would be the end of visas to travel to EU. But that for sure would take a very long time to happen, considering the Turkish borders and their own migration.

I think Europe is scared just of the idea of Turkey in EU and in order not to be scared, they would try to control Turkey a little in some ways and I can´t imagine that. The Turkish definitely wouldn´t like it and I doubt they would allow it. I can imagine EU having problems with some Turkish food, maybe some traditions, the Kurds question, the power of armed forces in Turkey (highly respected by its people), the chapter of Armenians would be reopened. And there are two more issues: People would be asking "Is Turkey Europe?" and second, of course, a muslim country in EU.

My impression is that Europeans don´t really want it and Turkish don´t really care about it. I actually think they would be better without EU, which is becoming more and more an organization making new and stronger borders than opening itself (as it was proved to me last month when Ahmet wanted to come here, and as I could also see when passing the Bulgarian-Turkish border).

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat